Tomorrow’s the big day!

Another summer break has rattled to a stop.  Tomorrow is the first day back for teachers, with four days of pre-school before the kids come back next Monday.  Lots of changes in my department – we had two teachers leave and one teacher reassigned within the school. One of the teachers that left went out-of-county.  It was easy to see the effect of losing our step increases and having no real raises for three or four years – his new position pays over $8000 more per year based on his years of experience.  The other teacher went west to become an administrator.  I think he said that even if he had taken a teaching position in his new state, he would have received a substantial pay increase.

We have three new science teachers and, more exciting to me, they’re all hired and ready to go.  This is the first year in probably three years that we will be fully staffed on the first day.  Last year was definitely the low point – we had three positions vacant at the beginning of the year.  One was filled about three weeks into the school year, but the other two were not filled until 6 weeks into the first quarter.

One of the vacant positions was for a biology teacher.  For the last 7 years, I’ve basically been the lead teacher for regular biology.  It’s not a formal mentoring relationship, and there was certainly no extra pay for doing that, but I would always share everything I had on my Flash Drive of Doom – PowerPoints, worksheets, quizzes, labs, tests . . . EVERYTHING you would need to teach regular biology and then some.

Last year was a Perfect Storm of disaster, though, because it was the first year for new textbooks.  Different textbook, different publisher, different author.  This meant that all of my presentations and worksheets were useless.  Plus we biology teachers were pretty scattered – I had 2 sections, the other two “old” guys had 2 sections.  We had a teacher just returning from a 10-year hiatus, and she had 1 section.  The open position had 3 sections of biology.  As the “lead”, I got stuck making lesson plans for the long-term substitute teacher that was covering that position.  Now I was a sub before I started teaching, so I know it’s a thankless job.  But this guy was 80+ years old, and he VERY grudgingly agreed to take the long-term sub position until a teacher could be hired.  (Side conversation contributing to the Perfect Storm:  the school district was waiting to see whether the schools would have to comply with the state class-size restrictions, so they refused to hire anyone until the ruling came in . . . in late September.  Yeah.)

Every day, I had to write out detailed lesson plans for the sub, give him a flash drive with any presentations on it, make copies of any worksheets he needed, and prep any labs.  Now I’m not a write-out-a-full-lesson-plan kind of teacher.  At best, I have a skeleton outline of every activity I’m going to do,  and a stack of folders with any handouts.  Oh, and remember that “new textbook” thing?  That meant every presentation had to be made from scratch (ish – the publisher provided PPT files, but they were only semi-usable for various reasons).  We had to figure out what supplemental materials we wanted to use, and how to use them.  Writing out the detailed lesson plans was so time consuming that I quickly fell behind on my own preparation – grading, prepping for my AP Environmental class, making copies for my own classes.

By the time the principal hired teachers to fill the vacant spots, there were quite a few burned-out teachers in the department.  (And I wasn’t even one of the ones that was teaching a 6th period.)  Luckily, the teachers the principal hired were amazing – great team players, great classroom skills, great science teachers.  I guess it worked out well in the end, but it was a little hairy getting to that point.

So I am extremely relieved to know that even though we will have three new teachers tomorrow, at least they’re already hired.

Advertisements