At the end of the school year, I was not sure what to do with my moth eggs. None of them had hatched yet. I was pretty sure I didn’t want to take them home, since the idea of having stinging caterpillars crawling all over my patio sounded like a bad idea. I thought about propping the door of the habitat open and setting it underneath one of the trees outside my classroom. However, I figured when the mowing crew came through, that would be the end of both the habitat AND any residents. Instead, I carefully picked all the moth eggs out of the habitat and set them at the base of a tree along the back fence at school. If nothing else, I will be increasing the local population of Automeris io lilith.
The pillbugs came home with me. Right now, the tank is sitting on my patio, awaiting transfer to a new habitat. I need to transfer them because apparently the ants and cockroaches in my classroom (EWWWWWWW!) decided that they would like to share the tank with the pillbugs. Transferring the pillbugs means I have to make a new habitat in a clean tank, then individually pick out the pillbugs and put them in the new tank. Fun times.